Candidates approved by the Credentials Approval Committee and the Regents, upon receipt of the prescribed examination fee by the stated due date, will be advised of the exam format no less than three (3) months prior to examination.
Examinations will be prepared and administered by the Examination Committee.
A minimum passing score will be established by the Examination Committee and approved by the Regents.
Examinations will be given at least once every other year.
Exam Format and Topics
The Examination Committee may include multiple-choice, written and practical items; computer simulations and use of audiovisual aids may be used as part of the testing process.
Topics to be covered on the examination will be those that are crucial to veterinary diagnostic imaging.
Exam items will be referenced using current scientific sources.
Topics covered may include:
- General radiology knowledge
- Radiation safety
- Radiographic positioning techniques required for multiple species
- Radiographic/fluoroscopic special procedure imaging
- General radiology knowledge
- Special procedures
- Radiographic positioning
- Image quality control
- Medical record
Applicants will also be tested on basic knowledge of advanced imaging modalities used for veterinary imaging including:
- Nuclear Medicine imaging
Topics to be covered may include but are not limited to:
- Routine use and common studies performed
- Modality specific safety
- Imaging protocols required for specific disease processes
- General physics
- Common artifacts and signs of equipment failure
- $50.00 non-refundable pre-application fee
- To be submitted directly on the AVTDI Pre-Application Packet
- Due by October 1, 2023 at 12:00 A.M (EST)
- $50.00 non-refundable final application fee
- To be submitted directly on the AVTDI Final Application Packet
- Due by February 1, 2024 by 12:00 A.M (EST)
- $150 non-refundable examination fee
- October 2024 (exact date TBA)
- Applicants will be notified of the final non-refundable exam fee 90-days prior to their examination date.
- Examination fees must be pre-paid through the AVTDI website 30-days prior to sitting for the exam.
Sitting for the VTS-DI Exam
Exam items may be submitted by AVTDI members, by ACVR members or ECVDI members and will be approved by the Examination Committee.
A minimum passing score as established by the Examination Committee and approved by the Regents must be achieved to obtain AVTDI status.
All candidates sitting for an examination will be notified of the results of the examination by mail within sixty (60) days of the date of the examination.
Candidates who have failed the examination will, upon written request through the Recording Secretary to the Regents within thirty (30) days of notification, be given written clarification as to the areas of deficiencies. The letter of clarification of deficiencies will be provided by mail within sixty (60) days of receipt of the candidate’s request.
Candidates who have failed the examination may:
- Sit for the examination up to two (2) additional times.
- Reapply after failing the examination three (3) times by repeating the entire application process as stated in Article VII, Section 2.
The examination may be postponed once, for one (1) year at the request of the candidate.
- Candidates must request in writing (electronic or paper) to the Recording Secretary their desire to postpone their examination date.
- Requests must be received no later than thirty (30) days prior to the examination date.
Emergency situations may occur that prevent a candidate from sitting for the examination. Any situation that occurs within thirty (30) days of the date of the examination would be considered an emergency postponement.
- Emergency postponements must be sent electronically to the Recording Secretary up to and including the day of the examination.
- A fee of $25.00 must be paid to the treasurer if the examination is postponed.
- Specifications for postponement and emergency postponement will be determined by the Regents and the Examination Committee.
Back to Candidate Packet Page
Click the link to return to the main candidate packet page for more information on the VTS-DI examination.